About Me

Optimistic, realistic, candid. You'll find here a personal perspective. Even so, you'll come to appreciate that I'm around. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Find me on www.twitter.com/Little_Lawyer

02 October 2009

JSA Just So Agonising...

JobCentre day arrives.


I begin by checking emails to help me to fill out the “Looking for work” diary. I only need 6 examples of what I’ve done. I’ve got a multitude of examples so try to narrow them down.

  1. What I did: Checked totallylegal, Reed, Legal Prospects, Monster, simplylawjobs, lawyersinpractice, Law Gazette, The Lawyer, Times online, Guardian jobs yada yada yada…
  2. Date: Everyday since having all this time on my hands.
  3. What happened: No suitable positions, applied for 2 jobs, telephoned RC to find out more about the role, unsuccessful application, RC just didn’t bother to acknowledge application.
  4. What I will do next: Chase application, continue looking, but definitely NOT get used to it.
  5. When: Everyday until I don’t have to any more.


Applying for JSA was incredibly easy and not as soul destroying as I’d thought. Filled out an online form, got a call back from JobCentrePlus to make an appointment at my local Job Centre. I was told that I qualified for contribution based JSA but the entitlement would end in six months so if I wanted I could go onto income based JSA which is means tested. No thanks. “I don’t expect to be unemployed for that long – contribution based will do”. Done.


The day before my appointment, I was a touch excited to see what it was all about. Should I wear a suit? “Listen LL, you will see the lowest of the low there go as you are.” My stomach turned.

I walked through the door (hoping nobody I knew saw me) and was greeted politely by someone explaining where I should go. At my appointment my documents were in order, and there were no complicated factors so I was moved on to set up my job requirements.


I had to list 3 jobs I was looking for. There was only 1 but I guess if they wanted 3 for their computer…

  1. Solicitor.
  2. Paralegal.
  3. Table dancer.

JUST KIDDING!

3. Civil Servant.


What hours was I prepared to do? Monday to Saturday 8am to 8pm. “Are you sure?” They hadn’t realised that they were talking to someone who wasn’t afraid of a bit of hard work. All set up, I was told to show every two weeks on the same day at 9.23am. 10.23? “The slots are 3 minutes long.”


Two weeks later and it was signing in day. This time I felt really sick. The staff are lovely, and again greeted me at the door (I ran in not wanting to be seen). While waiting, I poked my nose over my book, to look around me so I could check out this “lowest of the low” but I didn’t notice anyone with matted hair, smelling of wee, or any lowlifes who looked like they’d never done a days work in their life. They were just like me checking in so they could get “paid”.


The first time I sat with my consultant, I was asked how things were.
“Not great to be honest, not a lot out there.” She was sweet, sympathetic, and said she hoped that things look up soon. I signed my signature, and that was it. Literally 3 minutes, done. Wow. An efficient government department.


This week I went through the same motions. This time my eyes started to well on the way there and I tried to suck it in. I walked through the doors of the Job Centre and again hoped that no-one saw me. As I sat waiting to be called, I noticed that I’d be seeing the same person I saw 2 weeks previously. If I’m going to see her each time, maybe I should know her name? I decided no. I don’t want to get to know her, as I wont be a regular.

“Little Lawyer!” she called me “How are things going?”

“Alright I suppose”

“Any luck?”

“No”. Dammit. I looked at her name badge.

“Is the Job Centre any quieter now?” Aren’t we told that the recession is over?

“Its busier than ever and I am rushed off my feet.” There we have it. From someone who knows. I left, again hoping no-one would see.


It has been a month. Didn’t that go quickly by. How quickly could 6 months come and go?

No comments:

Post a Comment