About Me

Optimistic, realistic, candid. You'll find here a personal perspective. Even so, you'll come to appreciate that I'm around. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Find me on www.twitter.com/Little_Lawyer

15 October 2009

Falling in love again

Over the last 4 months, all I've wanted to do is up sticks and move away. First thought is New York City, I've always fancied a 6 month/year in the big apple, but I think anywhere that isn't here would do me.

I live in a suburban London borough, pleasant enough, there are estates, but I don't live in one, and I've easy access to the countryside and central London. I have a garden, I have a drive, and I'm lucky. But more and more I'm thinking this isn't for me and find myself spending more and more time at home.

Tuesday was the first meeting after the summer recess of the Industrial Law Society and I was looking forward to going. I jump in my car (Travel cards are extortionate nowdays - at least they are when you're on a JSA income), and set off on my journey. Through Edmonton, through Tottenham, through Stamford Hill, Dalston...London is looking grottier and grottier. The people, the buildings, the... and it comes into view...One Canada Square with its flashing light at the tip of its pyramid top, and look its the Gherkin! I'm now nearing Liverpool Street and my feelings move from downright dispirited to full of elation at being back in the center of this great city.

The streets, buildings and people get smarter, and things appear to have a purpose again. I stop at some lights on Cannon Street. The sky is an amazing haze of deep blue, the sun has just set and left a lingering impression on the few clouds still loitering over St Paul's Cathedral. And it looks magnificent.

I make the meeting, and love every minute. It was good to dress smartly again, good to be surrounded by some fantastic employment lawyers and judges again, and the lecture on current issues in TUPE delivered by David Reade QC of Littleton Chambers was delivered impeccably and with good humour.

Although I shot off as soon as it was over (I wasn't feeling brave enough to network that evening), I felt optimistic, excited and a renewed self assurance that I was making the right choices. I'm definitely still looking for a good time to experience life in NYC, but London and Holborn in particular, holds so many memories for me, work, study, friends, relationships, that I'd almost forgotten why I'd done it all. Deep down, I know that I'll always *heart* London, I just hope I find something to keep me enthused while I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment