About Me

Optimistic, realistic, candid. You'll find here a personal perspective. Even so, you'll come to appreciate that I'm around. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Find me on www.twitter.com/Little_Lawyer

22 October 2009

The Law Society - representing its solicitors

The Law Society represents solicitors in England and Wales. From negotiating with and lobbying the profession's regulators, government and others, to offering training and advice, we're here to help, protect and promote solicitors across England and Wales.
Since becoming unemployed as an newly qualified solicitor, its been a really worrying time. Not just the whole thing about finding a job, but there are also so many things that had I been kept on would have been dealt with as a matter of course or by someone else. Important things, which could lead to all my years of sacrifice going down the pan if I forget to submit 1 form or tick a box somewhere, requiring me to jump through hoops and pay gazillions to make sure I can continue to call myself a solicitor (yes yes, I exaggerate but you get the jist).

What am I on about ? I'm talking about practising certificates, CPD points, remaining on the roll of solicitors, the kind of pro bono work I'm allowed to undertake etc... There's no one stop shop (as far as I could see) where I could get some guidance on all of these things or on things which quite probably I don't know about but need to. I made an enquiry of the SRA about some of my queries, and they passed me on to the Law Society, and I was referred to guidance on the Law Society website which was going to make it all better for me (wont mention the fact that it took around 3 weeks for my queries to be dealt with....oopsie!)

I'm reminded about all this today, as the LawGazette LinkedIn group popped up in my inbox, and lo and behold there was a blog which pricked my interest. Diary of a Redundancy is a blog formed from the collective accounts of solicitors of some number of years pqe. Until finding this, I had come to think that the Law Gazette had totally missed the problems facing their individual subscribers. Week after week its full of double, triple and even quadrouple page spreads about firms becoming more cost efficient, outsourcing, the problems firms are facing with PII, but not very much at all about those of us who have found ourselves jobless, the levels of unemployment in the industry, the problems that individual solicitors are facing and where to go for help. I can't say they ignored the fact, but considering the pages of the Gazette have been half of what it has been previously, it seemed fairly odd that something so massive was being ignored(, or maybe there is a reason why this issue is being swept under the carpet?) Well, at the bottom of part 1 of that blog, we are helpfully informed to search "Redundancy" on the Law Society website which leads the unemployed solicitor to the relevant practice note (dated 18 December 2008 no less - good that they're keeping on top of the situation).

I decided to have a good read this time, I have to decide what to do about my practising certificate as it is up for renewal on 1 November as is everybody elses. You can imagine my joy when I read
If you have not held a practising certificate for more than twelve months, you will become subject to section 12C of the Solicitor Act 1974. This means that if you wish to apply for a practising certificate, you will be required to notify the Solicitors Regulation Authority six weeks in advance of your intention.
I'm an NQ, who for the last 2 years was on the Law Society regional minimum, and with few savings to my name (which are being saved for further courses/qualifications), and now forced fork out £590 to prevent me from taking last minute offers of employment. Lucky for me, I have cost effective ways to obtain my CPD credits, but for those who have to fork out for each course they take - its not cheap.

Thanks SRA and Law Society. I didn't need that cash anyway, especially so close to Christmas. I think I feel as much love for you both right now as you feel for me *kissy*.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there Little_Lawyer

    As the Gazette LinkedIn group owner and features editor, I thought I should probably reply to this, square away some misconceptions, and say that we are listening to opinions like yours, honest. Also all the things you complain about in the Gazette are pretty much my bag, so it's me you have the beef with ;-) However, this commenting system only allows small posts, I can't post my response in full. Give me your email, and I'll write to you. If you want to post my reply, I'm fine with that.

    Best wishes,

    Rupert White, features editor, Law Society Gazette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am chuffed to bits that my piece has reached you and will happily email you.

    Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little_Lawyer

    What an interesting tale.

    May I ask a simple question?

    Before you committed substantial time and money to join the legal profession did you not research the risks?

    It is common knowledge that law is massively over subscribed and unfortunately you can't beat the laws of supply and demand.

    Even before the credit crunch there was no demand for lawyers. In 2002 17% of newly qualified solicitors were unemployed.

    If you wanted a secure and well paid career then you should have gone into healthcare and not join the mass of deluded students that flock to the law.

    Joining an industry without properly researching the risks is highly irresponsible.

    Sorry. Just the facts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Anonymous. My post was something more about how much the Law Society is "there" for its subscribers, but you have raised some interesting points.

    When I embarked on my studies, I just wanted to learn, and build a profession that I would enjoy, believe in and that could open doors for me. Maybe I didn't research the risks well enough, but I certainly don't think quoting a figure from 2002 is providing an accurate account of how over the last 18 months things have changed.

    In 2002 unemployment was at 5.2% and in 2008 5.8%. In Aug 2009 it was 7.9%. Had I been an NQ in 2007 when we were in the midst of fabulously low unemployment, there is no doubt in my mind that I'd have been snapped up in no time, and if I didn't find a solicitor post, I'd have found a job in a related field without a problem. This is simply not the case at the moment, and not just for NQs. In the last year, graduate unemployment generally has increased by 44% (http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/nov/02/graduate-job-losses-increase) so by your reasoning, nobody should be furthering their education.

    I found this and liked it. I think its fitting. "Statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital" (Aaron Levenstein).

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Anonymous on November 5, "Joining an industry without properly researching the risks is highly irresponsible. Sorry. Just the facts"

    No need to apologise since you seem to prefer condescending opinion rather than real facts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lots and lots of unemployed solicitors - old and young , starts with disbelief, then trying for other jobs , then trying to fill time, then poverty and dispair, the only comfort is that as firms trade down and use more and more unqualified and inexperience staff the insurance goes up and up and up and in the end a firm will not be progitable to run at all so all solicitors will be unemployed

    ReplyDelete