About Me

Optimistic, realistic, candid. You'll find here a personal perspective. Even so, you'll come to appreciate that I'm around. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Find me on www.twitter.com/Little_Lawyer

17 January 2010

Go on...admit it...

On 31 December 2008, I was stood on the Embankment, shivering with my lips turning blue, waiting for some fireworks to go off. I was there with my cousin, who made a comment about how I would forget about them ('the family') when I became a lawyer. This offended me deeply, because my attitude to my friends and family, regardless of their status has never changed and I disliked the insinuation. Our relationship changed a little that night, but I think it did something more profound.

Most of the people I grew up with, as well as my close family, are not in the professions. I enjoy seeing them when I do, and as far as I'm concerned I'm the same person. My parents love to tell people that I'm a lawyer, and I hate being there when they do. Last week, I went out for a drink where I met some blasts from the past. The question inevitably arises, "what are you doing now?". He worked in a metal factory, where apparently the job was crap but the pay fantastic.
"So what about you?"
I hate the question. I don't know what it is, but I check myself before saying it that my tone is right and I don't sound like a snob.
"I'm a lawyer".
"I mean, I'm an unemployed lawyer".
Why did I do that? Its like I had to take myself down a peg or two. For the benefit of whom? The most ridiculous thing is that I was a locum at the time, so not unemployed at all.

My "unemployed lawyer" statement was a turning point for me. I worked and studied hard. It was tough. It is still hard going, not knowing where my next pay cheque will come from, but I cannot negate the successes I have had, and I degrade myself each time I ignore it.

I recall an email exchange with @markgriffith where the subject turned to ambition and wealth. I could agree to being ambitious, however felt embarrassed to say that money was any motivation. I couldn't understand it then, and I still don't now, and this one sentence in our exchange has often come back to haunt and trouble me even years after I made the statement.

Well at the moment, I'm feeling optimistic. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm savouring the feeling. I was called a brilliant lawyer and fantastic, by two different people, both of whom have had a limited experience of me. I celebrate my successes and you should do so too.

And I can admit to my motivation of wanting to make a living. A decent living. There's a certain kind of life I want to be living, and I'm going to get it for myself. There, I said it. Well almost. I'll let you all know when I'm ready to say I want to be rich...

4 comments:

  1. You sound like you're very determined which is the main thing...

    Plus, the fact that you can freely admit the truth in that you're not working at the moment is a good thing, right? No point pretending something isn't true when it is.

    The fact you have the determination to succeed is what ultimately counts.

    I'm certain things will turn around nicely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what I have read of you blog so far. I know the feeling having to admit to yourself, let alone other people, that you are an unemployed or broke lawyer. It's like a stone in your gut because lawyers have the same income expectations that everyone else has for lawyers.

    But I have found that it is a great gut check and you really find out who you are, as a person and as a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things that bugs me most about being a lawyer is that people at parties take you aside and ask for your opinion (read: free legal advice). Then, if you say that the matter is not your area of expertise people frown instead of wondering whether that might be true. Then, if you recommend a fellow lawyer in that particular area of expertise, people take a step back and assume you are too lazy to help them out. And there goes your reputation...you will be called an arrogant gasbag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for commenting Vidocq...and even as an NQ, I can relate! I've had to visit family and friends to advise them on all sorts. At the moment I'm finding it mildly flattering that these people already trust me and what I've got to say, but I've no doubt it can get tiresome in no time. Of course you can't refer on...they'd have to pay for that advice!

    You read above about my reputation - it even preceded my career! Never mind...

    ReplyDelete