About Me

Optimistic, realistic, candid. You'll find here a personal perspective. Even so, you'll come to appreciate that I'm around. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Find me on www.twitter.com/Little_Lawyer

19 November 2009

Only if you went to...

Applied for a job this morning. It was one for which I had the necessary experience, and so one I felt I had nothing to lose by going for.

I got an email from the Recruitment Agency (which is actually a great thing, often RAs fail to respond at all), informing me that due to a vast response, the recruiting firm is only accepting applications from the top 10 city law firms.

I see.

It wasn't good enough that I had my own clients, rather than flicked through someone else's files;

Advised clients face to face, rather than sit in on the client meetings of others;

Undertook extensive drafting of documents, contracts, policies and procedures, rather than find the correct precedent for the partner to work with;

Completed HUGE commercial transactions with the other side, rather than being told that the project had completed and we were billing the client;

Drafted complex research which formed the basis of written advice to clients (word for word), rather than provided snippits of information on ad hoc matters;

Negotiated and drafted settlements; rather than bill the file when told it had been done;

Dealt with a whole host of marketing and financial target strategy, rather than shadow the life of solicitors and partners...

...and totally understandable that I am overlooked because of the location and name of my training establishment.

I so wish I worked for a top 10 and left with extensive experience of how to prepare and check bundles...(I got some of that too btw...)

Yes, I am bitter, but I embrace and accept it with all my heart. I am, of course, only human...

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that - what a load of hooey. That's the second time tonight I've used that word. You clearly have a ton of experience - I may have mentioned this before - but have you thought of looking in other areas - such as entertainment law i.e. production companies often hire lawyers to head up their business development depts. Just a thought ;) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joanna, you're so great with your words of wisdom!

    I can understand it (the hooey I mean). It is kind of necessary to sort the wheat from the chaff and if a top city NQ has done the whole gruelling interview process for a training contract and made it, chances are they'd be the right "fit" for a certain kind of firm. Seems though all firms are jumping on the bandwagon now though!

    I'd love to diversify but employers are becoming more demanding regarding previous experience. I have applied to a couple of entertainment firms but I'm sure they are being bombarded too. Plus the ents business is suffering also... I guess I'm not alone! I know something brighter is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete