About Me

Optimistic, realistic, candid. You'll find here a personal perspective. Even so, you'll come to appreciate that I'm around. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Find me on www.twitter.com/Little_Lawyer

10 November 2009

You are now crowned...

So I tweeted about dreading the upcoming admissions ceremony to officially celebrate my admission to the roll of solicitors. I really was dreading it, not just because I've spent nearly a decade getting to this point to find myself for the first time in 14 years unemployed, but because I wasn't sure I'd be able to keep my emotions in check on the day. I've been rather good at hiding the roller coaster feelings the last 4 months have taken me on and it has started to become more difficult in the last week.

It was actually my first time at the Law Society. I worked around the corner from it for 3 years and had never set foot inside. I think part of me wondered what I'd do when I got there, whether I'd be welcome, and I'm not even sure I realised that there was a library inside.

The Society was established to offer a centre for solicitors to mirror that of the inns of court, who offered assistance and a community to the barristers who joined. I'm not sure theirs rivals those I've seen at the Inner and Middle Temples and that of Lincoln's Inn, but it was spectacular and good to see it all the same.

The ceremony had a wonderful MC who made the proceedings go without a hitch, with some light humour. Awarding the "fake" certificates was the Deputy Vice President John Wotton - it was the first ceremony where he wasn't merely a spectator. When we spoke after the event he shared that he had missed his admission ceremony, due to a client meeting that morning.

As each of our names were called, we would have a photo with Mr Wotton, and then he'd say a few words to each of us. I knew he would be asking where I was working, and my mind was spent trying to find a way to say I was unemployed, but also to put a positive spin on it (I'm currently not liking the doom and gloom which appears to have taken a grip on my brain at the moment, and especially didn't want it to ooze out of my mouth or demeanor).

"Little Lawyer!"

Oh crap that was me.

Shoulder's back, biggest smile and strongest handshake. Photo, and "so where are you working now?" "I'm currently looking for work and am hopeful that a suitable opportunity will arise in the not to distant future". There I did it. Mr Wotton didn't seem dazed, and I went back to my seat, wondering how many other newly qualifieds were in a similar position to me.

At the reception afterwards (no wine - I've noted this Law Society - I expected a glass of red at least, if we weren't going to get bubbly unless we paid for it), Mr Wotton struck up a conversation with my brother, and we got talking. I thanked him for his speech and that the day had been organised, we talked about MDPs and the market, and he wished me every success. I'm glad I went. I don't think I'd have regretted not going, but having been, I would have missed out, and it was important for my parents too. I'm official, and off I go on my merry way...


<><><><><><><><>

...with a slight detour to casualty - my mother fell over whilst looking for a vase to put the flowers she and my father had bought for me, and is now, unable to even hobble...deary me.

No comments:

Post a Comment