About Me

Optimistic, realistic, candid. You'll find here a personal perspective. Even so, you'll come to appreciate that I'm around. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. Find me on www.twitter.com/Little_Lawyer

03 November 2009

WORK IT WORK IT WORK IT

Along with my "new" exercise regime I've had a pretty full week or so.

<><><><><><><><><>

The phone has been ringing with rec cons URGENTLY wanting to speak to me (go figure), and people informing me of potential openings, and telling me how wonderful my CV is. CVs have been sent out, however the phone today has been eerily quiet. I wait with baited breath (well I don't really, I continue to search, but I do so without the use of traditional rec con methods nowadays unless they get in touch with me). Still pro bono-ing.

<><><><><><><><>

I decided not to renew my practising certificate. I couldn't justify the cost whilst I'm not earning, and as so far, any promises of work have not come to fruition (yes rec con who linkedmein - I'm still waiting for your call and wont be chasing again). I figure that I'll have the time to renew when a job comes my way. So now, I am a solicitor (non practising). I wonder who I'll be mingling with at my upcoming admissions ceremony to practice my new title on. Anyway, contrary to what I thought, it wont stop me from working at my local law center - yipee!

<><><><><><><><>

Do you all remember my first ever blog post, which was also used as a guest blog piece for @charonqc's blog? On nepotism? Well this week I was asked to interview for a commercial property firm, which is incidentally the area of law which fellow trainee used to jump up and down over. Ironic how fellow trainee got a job in the area of law I was after and her ideal job came my way. Tempted to snap it up so I can gloat.

(Rec con who gave me the heads up about this one, also told me that the position at "Wedolaw" (see previous blog post) is still open, and interestingly, we had the same views on the kind of law firm they were. She also told me that the salary that I had tried to negotiate for myself was absolutely acceptable.)

<><><><><><><><>

I applied for a pro bono role which would take me a little while to get to, but as expenses would be paid, thought it would be a great opportunity to keep working, and give something back. Had a long convo with the manager of the dept who was absolutely incredulous that I'd give up my free time to do it, especially with so much travel required, and even more surprised when I suggested that I would continue my commitment by working from home where appropriate and if I could. Manager couldn't believe that someone with such a great CV (I'm not making this up folks - her words not mine) is unemployed and said she'd be happy to have me even for a day if it meant that I'd found a job. Part of me thinks its a shame that its only when we're in need of work that we offer to give up our time for charity. A few hours a week/month isn't too much to ask of us all is it, whether we're employed or otherwise? Or maybe its that there is a lack of awareness of volunteer opportunities?

<><><><><><><><>

Attended one of the freebie CPD courses yesterday. Fantastic seminar given by Wragg & Co's employment department. They seemed so happy and such well adjusted lawyers. I day dreamed throughout that it was me giving the presentation and the super lawyer life. Wragg & Co obviously care about their lawyers' well being. Already checked, no vacancies.

For the first time someone came over to sit next to me and it was really nice to have a chat. Interesting chap, barrister, local councillor, and pro bono-er. Unfortunately he zoomed off to network with Wragg & Co before saying goodbye. Never mind.

Oh and posh tea bags which do not allow peculation - what is the point? Nothing beats PG tips or Twinnings.

<><><><><><><><><>

Got a mention in @NeilDenny's piece in wikivorce about legal aid cuts. Sparked some personal sensitivities as on first read I thought it suggested that I was expecting too much in hoping for an NQ job at a salary higher than £20k. On second read I realise that it is an article about concerns about the future of legal aid and legal aid practitioners. Worth a read so have a look!

<><><><><><><><>

That's all for now. I think. I can't imagine anyone is still reading...and don't you guys think I haven't noticed the lack of comment on my last post...

2 comments:

  1. hi little_lawyer, i've been following your blog and share your views on everything ranging from the law soc to the recruitment consultants! any luck with the job search? i trained in a niche area (shipping litigation)and am finding it incredibly difficult to find a job as a newly qualified lawyer. the vast majority of firms don't do shipping and have no regard for transferrable skills. ironically, if i was a graduate looking for a training contract, i'd have a wider spread of firms to apply to. i'm stuck and have run out of ideas too. i can't help thinking that even if the markets recover, i'm still going to suffer from my lack of relevant experience in a highly saturated job market. my last option is to retrain if i can't find anything by september. but is that too extreme?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain and unfortunately, so do many others at the moment, and there is no comfort in that thought at all. Nothing is too extreme when you are adding to your skill set, and the important thing is to use your time now, wisely. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete